Peter Uber constructed the house and barn somewhere near 1805. By the time of the 1835 census it had been registered as an inn. Peter’s son William Henry Harrison Uber served as the bar keep in his father’s inn.
In 1850 Peter and William added the existing storefront to the original house deconstructing the barn for building material. The rustic beams from the 1835 barn remain in place in our brewery today.
Soon thereafter, Peter and William went from inn keeping to cabinet making and by the time of the Civil War, to coffin making. Apparently business was very good and it soon occurred to the Ubers, in their dead reckoning, that undertaking was the next logical step. Soon their shop became “Uber and Sons Undertakers and Furniture Dealers.” The business flourished, even if their customers did not.
Sometime in the 1800s the business and the building were passed on from William to his son Carrol. Under Carrol’s leadership, the business continued to prosper. It was enlarged to its present size somewhere around 1920.
Elton North Uber – Carrol’s son – carried on the family tradition until his retirement in 1974. After Elton had the last funeral, Edward Uber continued the family business as a furniture store for 20 more years.